IT Therapy is a mature therapy that is currently indicated for chronic pain and severe spasticity. Despite its long history, there are several provocative topics that revolve around this treatment approach. This course will attempt to enlighten attendees on these concerns.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) and the North American Neuromodulation Society. The CNS is accredited by ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The CNS designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe management techniques for unusual clinical scenarios relative to intrathecal drug delivery.
- Identify the treatment algorithm for intrathecal drug delivery (evaluation, trialing, implantation, long term management).
- Review the societal concerns that interface with intrathecal drug delivery including interactions with the FDA.
- Recognize potential pitfalls and controversies when employing intrathecal drug delivery.
Registration on or Before November 4, 2019:
Registration After November 4, 2019:
Introduction to Course
Aaron K. Calodney, MD; Michael F. Saulino, MD PhD; Erik Shaw, DO
Patient Selection/Medication Weaning
Joshua Wellington, MD
What Is the Value of Pre-Trialing Psychological Assessment?
W. Michael Hooten, MD
To Trial or Not to Trial
Michael F. Saulino, MD PhD
Novel Troubleshooting Techniques
Michael F. Saulino, MD PhD
FDA Reflections of Intrathecal Therapy
Oscar A. de Leon-Casasola, MD
Combination Therapy for Pain Management
Aaron K. Calodney, MD
Simultaneous Management of Pain/Spasticity with Intrathecal Therapy
Erik Shaw, DO
Pain Management in the Spastic Patient
Andrea Toomer, MD
Combination Therapy for Spasticity Management
John R. McGuire, MD
Managing Acute Pain in a Patient with Intrathecal Therapy
Lawrence Poree, MD PhD MPH
Clinical Impact of Flow Rate and Catheter Tip Location
Peter Konrad, MD PhD
Societal Economics of Intrathecal Therapy
Lisa Stearns, MD
Coding, Billing, and Financial Aspects
Mehul J. Desai, MD MPH
Faculty and Presentations subject to change.
- Neurology Neuromodulation Workshop
- Neuromodulation for Advanced Implantable Therapies: A Hands-On Cadaver Course for Pain Fellows
- Neuromodulation for Advanced Implantable Therapies: A Hands-On Cadaver Course for Neurosurgery Residents and Fellows
- Hands-On Cadaver Course for Engineers
- Certificate of Attendance: Peripheral Nerve Stimulation
- Caesars Palace
- Course Directors: